Saturday, November 27, 2010

Working and Working - 26 November 2010

As much as I enjoy relaying my cultural and social experiences in Rwanda, it's good to talk a bit about the work I am doing too.

As a law clerk to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, my duties naturally involve legal research, and drafting bench memoranda.  But, given the language barrier (so few cases in French and none in English) I find myself performing a multitude of administrative tasks, and recommending new rules and best practices for the Court to adopt.  Also, I find myself supporting the Millennium Challenge Corporation's Justice Strengthening Project in Rwanda.

This month, MCC project brought in one of my professors from law school, Jean-Marie Kamatali, who works as a consultant for the project.  It's a great way for me to work with him on some of the trainings and workshops that the MCC project is putting on.  Next week, in fact, one day will be spend working with a select group of judges who will train the judiciary on new judgment writing principles for the courts in Rwanda.  And, two days will be spend at the Seminar on Legal Education in Rwanda, where we will discuss with employers of law graduate and deans of law faculties how to adjust law curriculum to meet the changing needs of law employers.

These sorts of projects help give me faith in the foreign aid community - with real-world projects and tangible results that I have seen, and will continue to see working at the Court.  These are the times when I am very thankful for my post, the reform that is taking place in the judiciary, and that I am fortunate enough to be playing a part.

No comments:

Post a Comment