Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Musanze, Pt. 2 – Work Ethic

There are many things in Rwanda that will leave a lasting impression after I return to the U.S.  Among these this is the impressive work ethic among Rwandans.  Sure, you’ll find the average slouch here and there, but I must say overall this is a hard-working people.

This strong work ethic was again evident to me on my recent trip to Musanze (in the northern province).  As a little background, recently the Government of Rwanda ordered that Rwandans could no longer live in grass-thatched huts, and would have to build more modern houses.  The theory is that newer houses will be better equipped to support the fast-building infrastructure (electricity, water, etc.).  So, in villages all across Rwanda, there are houses that need to be built.

While outside Musanze, and on a hike up the highest peak in the area (see previous post), we came upon a man building his new house.  He wasn’t a young man, we can say, and the work looked tiring at best.  But it was truly a sight – rows of mud-bricks drying in the hot equatorial sun in front of the makings of a modest village home.  (In this part of the country, the mud is particularly good for fabricating and sun-drying bricks for home building).  I was immediately impressed by his work, especially because the walk up to his house alone was enough for me to pray that a Red Bull energy drink would fall to me from the heavens!
By way of background, the Government of Rwanda adopted a program to eliminate Nyakatsi - the grass-thatched huts in Rwanda.  The plan is to have al Rwandans in more more modern style dwellings.  Was was particularly striking here was the Nayakatsi in the background here, behind the new house being built.

I asked if I could take a picture, which is the customary and polite thing to do.  He jokingly said that I could if I gave him money or beer, but stoically posed for the shot.  (Notice the grass hut in the background.)

A couple weeks later I spoke to the friend I visited, who is working and living in a village outside Musanze.  I asked her about the village’s Umuganda activities (Umuganda, the last Saturday of the month, when all Rwandans mandatorily participate in community service from the morning to early afternoon).  She said that the villagers were building houses – 15 houses!  By the time she left at 1pm one house was complete, and the others were on their way.

I learn more about life, and the human condition, with each day I am in Rwanda.  And what I learn continues to impress me.

2 comments:

  1. Brian, I enjoy your blog, and am pleased that you introduced folks to Paul Giamatti's work. Regarding this entry, I am intrigued by the Umuganda requirement and have many questions, such as: Is it local or national? How is it enforced? Do folks take the work seriously? Do they get lots of things done? Do they resent it? Some have suggested that our profession should require a certain number of pro bono hours each year, but culturally I don't see that happening. I don't know if you are responding to comments publicly, but I'd like to catch up when you are back in the states. Leah S. (not so anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I can comment publicly, but I'll do better, and get some real substantive information about this and fill you in when I'm back (last week of April).

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete